Week 3: Sydney & Kiama

On Monday I went with Emma to Newtown – another of Sydney’s many suburbs. This one is enjoyed by both locals and tourists, as it is home to several stores, café’s and restaurants. We got there by train, and walked down the road to the left. We did a bit of shopping, Emma showed me a couple of nice, authentic stores, and then we went to have lunch. We had our lunch at a place called ‘Italian bowl’, and I had ravioli with pesto. It was very good, and definitely needed after a cold and windy morning. Apparently Newtown has a few alternative restaurants – which we didn’t go to. Emma told me about one where you pay what you think the food is worth, and one where you have to catch your food in your bowl. I would recommend this place, and I would also recommend doing a bit of research to make sure you make the most of it. Because the place is filled with interesting things, some of the best places might hide.

We went back to Central, to get some postcards. Afterwards, we walked through China Town, and got to the Chinese Gardens. It did cost $3 to enter the gardens, but it was a pretty and peaceful place. It would probably be more beautiful in the summer, or if you had a purpose there (such as meditation or drawing).

Chinese Garden

. . .

The next day, I went out with Helen and Emma. We went to Symbio, a wildlife zoo with mostly native animals. I got to pet a kangaroo and feed an emu, so I think it was a pretty successful day! On the way home, we stopped at a café to get lunch, and watch the view (below).

A view

. . .

On Wednesday me and Emma got on a ferry to Manly. It is an island near Sydney, and it took us about half an hour to get there. I was a bit surprised to see that Manly looked very different to the Sydney. It had more of an island-vibe to it, mainly because every other shop sold either swimwear or seafood. The houses reminded me a bit of what you would see along the coast in southern Europe. We had fish & chips at the beach, and afterwards we went for a little walk along the coast. Because of the very windy weather, we got pretty cold. That is when Max Brennner saved us with hot chocolate. If you have never heard of that place – because I hadn’t – it is basically a café that serves chocolate in every possible way. Very good, and very needed. We took the ferry home. After dinner we baked a honey cake (honningkage a’la Christiansfeld, opskrift her). It was really good, and they all liked it.



The ferry to Manly

. . .

We got up early Thursday morning, to catch a train to Kiama. We saw a ‘blowhole’, and had a delicious picnic with sandwiches, dip and scones. Afterwards, we went to the beach. We didn’t really do much, but it was a very relaxing and nice day.I collected some shells at the beach, and me and Emma talked about the moon. I was wondering if the phases of the moon would be the same on the other side of the moon, but she didn’t know that. Though she did know, that when you look at the moon in Australia you will see a rabbit, which you can’t in Denmark. That could mean that it is only tilted a bit, but I will definitely keep an eye on it, to see if it does what I want it to do (it is half-moon now, and according to what I learned in physics it will soon be new-moon).

We took the train home, and had soup and lasagna for dinner.

. . .

We walked to Aldi to get food this morning. I had lunch and did washing today as well, but that is not very exciting. I am starting to realize that my stay in Sydney is coming to an end, but I really don’t want it to. At the same time, I am kind of excited about going to Mildura, especially to meet even more new people. I also got my plane tickets today – finally!

. . .

Today is Saturday, and we had a lazy morning. Around lunchtime, Helen, Emma and I went to a farm to pick mandarins. There were a lot of people, and a lot of mandarin trees. They tasted much better than the ones you buy in the store, and I don’t think it was because we picked them ourselves. Not only because of that. Emma and Helen said that they had never properly picked fruit from a tree, which surprised me a bit. I thought most people had done that, because I have done it so many times.

We went to have a late lunch, and had some surprisingly good croissants with avocado and chicken. And of course we had a pear pie to go with that. We went home filled with croissants and pie, and with two bags full of mandarins.

. . .

Today I went out with Helen, James and Emma. We parked the car, and started a hike towards the Figure 8 Pools. The Figure 8 Pools are rock pools shaped as the number 8. To get there, you have to walk down a steep hill until you reach the beach, and from there you have to walk on big rocks along the coast. The last bit can only be done at low tide, because there can be unexpected high waves crashing into the wall on the other side – which leaves you with no way to get away. We didn’t walk the last bit, because we got soaked from a huge wave. All it did was make us wet, but we thought it would be better to turn around. Helen and James had gone another way, so me and Emma headed back to the car. We waited for them for about half an hour, not knowing where they were. But they came back, and we could all drive back home. It was an about 7 km long hike.


Beach near figure 8 pools

We went out for dinner. When we came home, we had a cake Helen had bought. They put in 19 candles, one for every day I had stayed with them. They were once again so nice, and had also gotten me a gift. I am very thankful. I am very sad to leave now, but I know that I couldn’t stay here forever, so I try to just be glad that I had the time I had. And of course I am also very excited for another adventure, and feel more ready than ever.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s